Superfood Beet Cakes (Gluten-Free)

Hey, hey, hey. How’s it goin’? Did you know that today’s Friday?!

rsz_11lentil_beet_cakes_68

Honestly, I don’t know why I am so excited it’s Friday. The only plans I’ve made for this weekend include a super-duper spring cleaning of my house. Fun stuff, right?

Not really. That’s okay though; one thing I don’t have to do worry about doing a super-duper cleaning of is my diet.

You know why? Because I’ve been loading up on all of the Superfoods in these bad boys…

Lentil Beet Cakes (62)

Not only do they taste delicious but they’re sure to leave you feeling nice and full.

The pleasing flavor combination from shredded beets and creamy goat cheese satisfies your taste buds while fiber-packed brown rice, quinoa and lentils satisfy your belly.

Lentil Beet Cakes (154)

Filling, delicious and healthy; just what the doctor ordered!

Superfood Beet Cakes (Gluten-Free)

• 1.5 cups cooked French green lentils
  • 1 cup cooked quinoa
  • 1 cup cooked brown rice
  • 1 cup oat flour (made from gluten-free oats)
  • 6 green onions, diced
  • 3 beets, peeled and shredded (approximately 2.5 cups)
  • 10 ounces goat cheese
  • 4 eggs
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 cup gluten-free (or whole wheat) panko bread crumbs

Makes approximately 14 cakes

Lentil Beet Cakes (317)

Lentil Beet Cakes (10) Lentil Beet Cakes (48)

Start by preheating the oven to 350°F.

In a large bowl, combine cooked brown rice, quinoa, and lentils.

Lentil Beet Cakes (330)

Stir them together and then add in the green onions, garlic, and shredded beets.

Lentil Beet Cakes (5)

Stir to combine and then add the oat flour, salt & pepper, and Italian seasoning and continue stirring until mixed well.

Lentil Beet Cakes (12)

Lastly, add in the eggs, olive oil, and goat cheese and stir until well combined.

Lentil Beet Cakes (15)

Take handfuls of the mixture and form patties, roughly 3 inches in diameter. Pour panko breadcrumbs in a small bowl and roll each cake in the breadcrumbs until covered on both sides.

Place cakes on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in the preheated oven for 13 minutes on each side.

Lentil Beet Cakes (26)

At two cakes per serving, you can get about 7 servings from this recipe! Just like the veggie burgers I like to make, I wrap up left overs in parchment paper and place them in a Ziploc Freezer Container to freeze until I’m in need of a quick and healthy weeknight meal. I usually defrost them in the refrigerator for several hours (or while you’re at work…more fun stuff!) and then microwave them on high for about 2 minutes when I’m ready for dinner. A little elbow grease on the weekend=a ridiculously simple and nutritious weeknight dinner!

To really amp up your Superfood intake, serve along side a heaping pile of sautéed kale.

Lentil Beet Cakes (122)

Another great option would be to crumble them up on top of a salad made from crisp romaine or mixed greens.

I actually had fried goat cheese medallions in mind when I made these. Have you ever had those on a salad? SO yummy. To get more of a fried taste to the cakes, you could also sauté them in a pan with olive oil over medium heat for about 5 to 7 minutes on each side.

Lentil Beet Cakes (119)

If you’re looking for more information on Superfoods, here are a few links of possible interest:

Woman’s Day: 52 Superfoods

Prevention News: Quinoa is the Superfood of 2013

Oprah.com Secret Superfoods: Beets

Alright, friends! I hope you all have a fabulous weekend with great weather! Especially those of you in Minnesota that have had snow recently…eeesh.

What are your favorite Superfoods?

• Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness April 19, 2013, 4:20 am

Those look so YUMMY. I also love the presentation- the green kale and pink/red of the beets look so pretty together on the plate. I’m soo ready for the weekend, this has been the longest week ever.
    Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness recently posted…Foodstuff Friday: Everything But the Kitchen Sink SmoothieMy Profile

• Sarah April 19, 2013, 8:01 pm

Yes, it has. Hope you have a good weekend!!

• Ashlee@HisnHers April 19, 2013, 5:33 am

YUM! Plus they’re pink…I would eat them for that fact alone ;-)
    Ashlee@HisnHers recently posted…Southern ThursdayMy Profile

• Sarah April 19, 2013, 8:00 pm

Haha, it does help when they’re pretty. ;)

• Nicole @ FruitnFitness April 19, 2013, 7:34 am

These sound incredibly healthy and look so pretty! I love beets and after making them on a regular basis for three years my bf finally decided to tell me he doesn’t actually like them. I will have to get some of my girlfriends to come over for pink beet cakes and wine :)
    Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted…Fun FactsMy Profile

• Sarah April 19, 2013, 7:59 pm

Oh, that does sound like fun!! If I lived in KY, I would totally bring some over!! :)

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 19, 2013, 8:07 am

I love super creative recipes like tis :) I enjoy beets, nut I honestly don’t eat them that often because I have no idea where to incorporate them. And there’s nothing wrong with being excited over spring cleaning! I have to do some myself and I actually kind of look forward to it.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. just eat – my thoughts on intuitive eating .My Profile

• Sonia the Mexigarian April 19, 2013, 8:47 am

I actually have all the ingredients in my fridge!! Sunday is going to be a huge meal prep day for me so this is being sent to the top of the list :) I love the color on it and look incredibly healthy and delicious.
    Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted…Soreness & BeastiesMy Profile

• Sarah April 19, 2013, 7:58 pm

Meal prep isn’t always the most exciting thing to do on the weekend but it’s so worth it!

• Natalie April 19, 2013, 12:18 pm

Such a creative and healthy recipe! I love trying out new beet recipes so thanks for sharing.
    Natalie recently posted…The Cookie DepartmentMy Profile

• Sarah April 19, 2013, 7:58 pm

Thanks Natalie! I hope you get a chance to try them! Have a good weekend! :)

• Dishing up the dirt April 19, 2013, 1:13 pm

Shut the front door!!!! I’m making these beet cakes ASAP! Beets are my absolute fave! Happy weekend lady.

• Sarah April 19, 2013, 7:57 pm

I still need to try your beetza! Happy weekend to you too! I hope the birds leave your kale alone!!

• Taylor @ greens & chocolate April 20, 2013, 3:32 am

Beets and goat cheese?! That sounds like a match made in heaven! Have a great weekend…sometimes it’s nice not to have a jam-packed schedule. I escaped the snow and came down to Iowa where there is actually GREEN grass…imagine that! :)
    Taylor @ greens & chocolate recently posted…friday favesMy Profile

• Sarah April 21, 2013, 4:47 pm

Glad to hear you got to escape the snow for a bit! :)

• Kelly April 20, 2013, 1:50 pm

So damn pretty! I love beets, the colour always gets me.
    Kelly recently posted…Ang Jiu (Foochow Red Wine) Chicken Soup with Mee SuaMy Profile

• Sarah April 21, 2013, 4:46 pm

They are kind of pretty! :)