I have been bit by the mango bug and I can’t stop eating them.
There’s just something about the soft, buttery texture and the slightly sweet flavor.
I just can’t get enough.
Maybe it’s because the flavor that takes me away to a tropical island (Maui? Yes, Hawaii!) where I can lay in the sand and stare out at the beautiful water.
Alright, alright. Sigh.
If I can’t have Hawaii, I guess I’ll settle for healthy and savory tostadas topped with tropical mango salsa and creamy cilantro-lime yogurt sauce.
Paradise…in a Tostada. Paired with an ice cold beer. Yep!
Black Bean & Quinoa Tostadas with Mango Salsa
- 1/2 cup quinoa (soaked overnight and rinsed) + 1 cup vegetable broth or water
- 2 (15 ounces each) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 medium size avocados, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used white cheddar, but monterey jack would also work well)
- 2 medium size mangos, peeled and diced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons lime juice (approximately 2 limes)
Cilantro-Lime Yogurt Sauce
- 6 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- 4 tablespoons lime juice (approximately 2 limes)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Bring 1 cup vegetable broth or water to a boil and add 1/2 cup soaked* and rinsed quinoa. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- After quinoa has cooked, add two cans drained and rinsed black beans, cumin, olive oil and salt & pepper to the pot with the quinoa. Mix until well combined and leave on low heat.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, combine diced mango, halved grape tomatoes, chopped green onions, finely chopped cilantro and lime juice and mix well.
- In a food processor or separate small bowl (last bowl-I promise!) combine the yogurt, lime juice, finely chopped cilantro, olive oil and salt and pulse or stir until well combined.
- Set your oven (or toaster oven) to broil and allow to preheat for a few minutes. Place the corn tortillas directly on rack and allow to cook 3 or 4 minutes, until crispy.
- Remove quinoa and black beans from heat and add in the diced avocado.
- Place tortillas on a plate, top with black bean & quinoa mixture and sprinkle with a few tablespoons of the shredded cheese.
- Top with the mango salsa and then drizzle the cilantro-lime yogurt sauce and salivate…I mean serve.
Total time: 30 minutes
Makes 10 tostadas.
*Note: if you choose not to presoak the quinoa, you will need more liquid to cook with.
Tip: A food processor comes in handy to help finely chop the cilantro and to make the yogurt sauce.
You guys are seriously going to hear me talk about a tropical island for the rest of eternity if I don’t get to one soon. I need a tropical vacay…bad.
Do you like mangos? What’s your favorite way to eat them?