The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie

rsz_the_seriously_perfect_chocolate_chip_cookie_84

I have always been a soft and chewy cookie kind of girl. I may have even sat on the front porch with my friends while consuming an entire bag of Chips Ahoy Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies at one point in my life. Ah, to be a kid again.

Brandon, on the other hand,  prefers his cookies with a nice crunch to them.

This was almost a deal breaker but, luckily, I was able to find the perfect marriage to please us both.

rsz_the_seriously_perfect_chocolate_chip_cookie_55

rsz_the_seriously_perfect_chocolate_chip_cookie_141

A cookie that is slightly crunchy on the outside with just the right amount of softness in the center, paired with utterly irresistible flavor. I’m telling you…perfect.

rsz_the_seriously_perfect_chocolate_chip_cookie_121

The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie

Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

Click to Print This Recipe!

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup quinoa flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup Earth Balance (1 stick)*
  • 1/4 cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening*
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (I used one bag)
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut, sweetened
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  1. Preheat the oven to 325°F  (165C).
  2. Sift together quinoa and all purpose flour, baking soda and salt then set aside.
  3. Melt one stick of earth balance for 30 seconds in the microwave and then add 1/4 cup non hydrogenated vegetable oil and melt for another 30 seconds.
  4. Grab a large bowl and beat together the melted earth balance, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended.
  5. Add vanilla, egg, and egg yolk and continue to beat until blended.
  6. Slowly add the flour to the wet ingredients until a dough like consistency is formed.
  7. Fold in chocolate chips, walnuts, and coconut using a spatula.
  8. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes to an hour.
  9. Roll dough into tablespoon size balls and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
  10. Bake cookies for 15 minutes, until edges are light brown. Bake a few minutes longer if cookies are larger or if you like them a bit more crispy.

Makes approximately 30 cookies.

Total time: 30 minutes (+30 minutes for refrigeration time)

*I received a comment on this recipe stating that using butter would be healthier so I wanted to share a few links that help describe the differences between butter and margarine. Butter may be healthier than certain margarines that are filled with preservatives and partially hydrogenated oils (trans fats), but if you are choosing a natural, non-hydrogenated margarine (such as Earth Balance) than it is actually a much healthier option than butter. But if you prefer it then feel free to use butter!

Here are a few reputable links if you are interested in learning more about the butter debate: Mayo Clinic ; American Heart Association ; Eating Well

I always appreciate feedback from my readers so if you have any thoughts on this topic, please share!

rsz_the_seriously_perfect_chocolate_chip_cookie_99

Not only do these cookies taste amazing and have the perfect texture, but they also use healthy fats in place of butter as well as quinoa flour for a little extra nutritional value.

I usually freeze most of them before baking and pop a few in the oven when I get an uncontrollable craving. There is no way I could be trusted with an entire batch of these…no way.

Do you prefer chewy or crunchy cookies?

• Beth @ Motor City on my Mind April 10, 2013, 5:27 am

Those cookies look delicious! I’m going to have to take your word that they are the best and give them a try!
    Beth @ Motor City on my Mind recently posted…Cucumber Bagels.My Profile

• Sarah April 10, 2013, 9:13 am

I hope you do! The ingredients are a little pricey (mainly the quinoa flour) but you can get multiple batches out of them; probably over a hundred cookies, so it’s worth it!

• Jana @ Happy Wife Healthy Life April 10, 2013, 6:00 am

I just found your blog from a comment you left on Courtney’s! :) I just had a similar discussion about cookies on my blog yesterday. I made a cookie cake for my brother on his birthday and I wanted to be very careful not to overcook it because to me, nothing is better than a gooey cookie center :)

Looking forward to reading more!

• Sarah April 10, 2013, 9:14 am

Hi Jana! I’m so happy you found me! Yes, a gooey center is SO important! :)

• Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness April 10, 2013, 6:03 am

I am a soft and chewy cookie girl too, and I am constantly on the prowl for the perfect cookie recipe. These look ah-MAZ-ing. Looks like I’ll be baking this weekend, my boyfriend will be psyched to try these.
    Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness recently posted…Walking: The Best Thing Since RunningMy Profile

• Sarah April 10, 2013, 9:15 am

Yay! I hope you like them. 15 minutes gets me the texture I described above but if you want them a little softer, 12-13 minutes should be sufficient.

• Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl April 10, 2013, 6:45 am

These really DO look perfect!! Though, I might be tempted to add in either some peanut butter chips, white chocolate chips, or cinnamon chips…call me crazy! ;)
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…Mushroom, Vegetable, and Hummus Stuffed WrapsMy Profile

• Sarah April 10, 2013, 9:16 am

You are not crazy, you’re a genius! Peanut butter chips? Drool.

• sally @ sallys baking addiction April 10, 2013, 7:27 am

wow! Just look how thick these babies are. They honestly do look like perfection. Soft centers, slightly crunchy outside + coconut and walnuts? I wish I had a few right now to get me through the workday.
    sally @ sallys baking addiction recently posted…Gluten Free Fudge No-Bake Cookies.My Profile

• Sarah April 10, 2013, 9:17 am

Thanks Sally! I brought one to work with me today and frequently do. It helps, for sure! :)

• Rachel @ Bakerita April 10, 2013, 8:07 am

Yum – those do look amazing! Definitely need to try them out soon.
    Rachel @ Bakerita recently posted…Sunbutter Oatmeal CookiesMy Profile

• Sarah April 10, 2013, 9:21 am

Thanks Rachel! :)

• Nicole @ FruitnFitness April 10, 2013, 9:04 am

These cookies sound amazing! My favorite cookies are usually chewy but I love a crunchy outside too. I Do you think it would work if I sub’d the all purpose flour with more quinoa or other GF flour?
    Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted…WIAW # 13My Profile

• Sarah April 10, 2013, 9:21 am

I think it might change the flavor a bit, but maybe you could try 1 cup quinoa + 1/2 cup coconut + 1/2 cup almond flour? I think that would be worth a shot and would still maintain a great flavor. You have to post it on your blog if you do though. ;)

• Becky @ Olives n Wine April 10, 2013, 10:02 am

These are seriously the prettiest looking cookies I have ever seen!! I don’t normally cook with vegetable oils but I think I’ll make an exception if my cookies will come out looking like this!!
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…No-Spend April UpdateMy Profile

• Sonia the Mexigarian April 10, 2013, 10:40 am

Aaaaaaand print. Click.

Totally knocking on my sweet tooth right now. I cannot resist a yummy chocolate chip cookie. These looks sinfully delicious :) I just need to get me some quiona flour (amongst other things) and these will be baked this weekend!

You say you freeze them before baking. How so? Do you roll into a cookie dough log and then slice off ends for baking or do you individually wrap prepared circles?
    I’d love to be able to freeze them because I’d be eating them all in one sitting if baked at once.
    Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted…WIAW Race WeekMy Profile

• Sarah April 10, 2013, 10:44 am

Lol…I absolutely have to freeze them if I want to fit into all of my clothes still.

I roll them into balls first, put in the freezer on a cookie sheet (or any flat surface where they aren’t touching) for about 25-30 minutes and then place them all in a Ziploc bag. I leave a small spot open in the bag, stick a straw in it and suck out the air before sealing it off. It’s not as good as vacuum sealed but it’s cheap! ;)

• Jan @ Sprouts n Squats April 10, 2013, 11:41 am

I’m with you it is chewy all the way!

These cookies look amazing! Do you think you could use all quinoa flour? I’ve just been told I need to limit my wheat intake.
    Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted…What I ate Wednesday #7My Profile

• Sarah April 10, 2013, 1:21 pm

I think quinoa flour has a very distinct flavor and that the cookies would taste different but if you enjoy the taste of quinoa flour then I think it would work okay. The texture also might be slightly crumbly since there will be zero gluten. An extra egg yolk may help that though. Hope that helps? :)

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 10, 2013, 12:10 pm

Crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside? Now that’s my perfect cookie right there! I definitely prefer a chewy cookie over a crunchy one, but a mixture of the two is the best of both worlds :D These look amazing!

• Julia | JuliasAlbum.com April 10, 2013, 1:20 pm

I love how thick and puffed up these cookies look. Curious to try so I am pinning this!

• Anna @ ApronHearts April 10, 2013, 1:22 pm

These chocolate chip cookies sound seriously perfect to me :). And the pictures of cookies with melted chocolate chips in the inside-delicious!!
    Anna @ ApronHearts recently posted…My natural cold remedy drinksMy Profile

• dishing up the dirt April 10, 2013, 1:59 pm

Those photos are gorgeous my friend!! I am drooling over here. I’m not much of a baker (can’t be trusted with a measuring cup) but I am passing this recipe along to my baker sister!!! Can’t wait to eat them!
    dishing up the dirt recently posted…carrot-ginger-broccoli rice bowlsMy Profile

• Sarah April 11, 2013, 7:32 am

Thanks darlin’! I’m sure you do just fine baking but I appreciate you sharing with your sister! :)

• sweetwater April 10, 2013, 3:30 pm

these would be healthier if you used butter – or a combo of butter and coconut oil.

• Sarah April 10, 2013, 8:24 pm

I’m not sure about that one but you could make them however you like!

• Crystal April 10, 2013, 3:54 pm

I prefer chewy chocolate chip cookies, all the way. They aren’t my favorite cookie, so they really do need to be “perfect.” I just recently discovered quinoa, so I’m very excited about quinoa flour. This recipe looks like the perfect way to try it out! Thanks!
    Crystal recently posted…Chicken Green Chili Sour Cream EnchiladasMy Profile

• Sarah April 10, 2013, 8:23 pm

Quinoa flour is great! Thanks for stopping by! :)

• what katie's baking April 10, 2013, 8:23 pm

it’s hard to find a seriously perfect cookie, but these really do look perfect!

• Sarah April 10, 2013, 8:53 pm

Thanks Katie! :)

• adriana April 11, 2013, 11:18 am

I’m drooling like homer simpson…I cant wait to make these!!! Did you take these pictures yourself too? If you did, great skills!!!

• Sarah April 11, 2013, 11:31 am

Aw, thanks Adriana! Yes, I did take them myself. I am trying to improve my pictures so I appreciate the compliment!

• Taylor @ greens & chocolate April 11, 2013, 6:16 pm

These DO look absolutely perfect!! And I’m with ya – chewy cookies all the way!

• Kathy @ FoodWineThyme April 15, 2013, 8:26 am

I love the use of quinoa flour in this recipe.

• Sarah April 15, 2013, 10:40 am

I know, I put quinoa flour in almost everything I make. Love it!

• foodie@foodieportal.com April 15, 2013, 7:26 pm

We love your pictures and recipes, they are mouth watering. Would love for you to share them with us at foodieportal.com. We are new but at foodieportal.com we are not photography snobs, we are just foodies.

• foodienewz June 22, 2013, 2:40 am

Your food photos are amazing. You can share your mouth watering photos with us at foodienewz.com and your photos published on FoodieNewz without any editorial review.

• Pamala October 5, 2013, 10:18 am

Hi Sarah!
    Any recommendations on what to replace the egg and egg yolk with? I know 1/4 cup of applesauce can be substituted for the egg but I am quite unsure about the egg yolk. Any information is much appreciated I’d love to try this recipe and let you know how they turn out

• Sarah October 5, 2013, 8:44 pm

Hi Pamala! I think you could try using a flax egg or chia egg instead. Here is a helpful link on how to do so: http://detoxinista.com/recipes/how-to-make-flax-eggs-or-chia-eggs/

I’m not sure how good they will taste with that substitution but I would be interested to know how they turn out if you try them. Hopefully they are still as good. :)

• Miranda Martel December 18, 2013, 11:15 am

I didn’t put them in the fridge for a half hour before hand, I don’t quite have the time but I’m sure they will be just fine : )

• Sarah December 18, 2013, 11:39 am

Hi Miranda! They should definitely still be delicious but refrigerating or freezing the dough results in a thicker cookie, which I personally favor. I hope you enjoy them! :)